June 27th is National HIV Testing Day.
More than 1 million people in the United States are living with HIV, but 1 in 5 do not know that they are infected.
Women and HIV/AIDS Statistics:
* Women are most likely to be infected through heterosexual sex.
* There are more than 290,000 women living with HIV/AIDS in the United States
* In 2010, Black women accounted for 64% of new AIDS diagnoses among women, ages 13 and older. Latina women for 17%, ages 13 and older.
* One in 5 women ages 18–64 report that they have been tested for HIV in the last 12 months, with higher rates among Black women (37%) and Latinas (25%) compared to white women (10%).
Why am I so passionate about HIV/AIDS Awareness? Unlike many diseases (such as cancer), HIV is one of the most preventable. As women, we need to understand that our best defense is knowing our status and protecting it.
Single women: If you have found that special guy do not be afraid to discuss getting tested together before taking it to the next level.
Yes, we as sexual beings can get caught up in a moment. Keep a condom in your purse. No, that does not make you a slutty woman it makes you a smart one. Afterwards, do get tested. Even, if you have gotten infected, it is possible to live a long happy life with proper medication.
Married women: Yes, monogamy is the best defense however, if either partner has ever strayed outside the marriage bed . . . get tested. Especially, those in ‘open’ marriages.
Pregnant women: The CDC also urges pregnant women to get tested early in their pregnancy so they can take the steps necessary to keep from passing HIV to their babies.
• If you are a woman who has ever participated in sex without protection
• If you are a woman with multiple sexual partners
• If you are a woman dating a man with multiple sex partners
• If you are a woman who has a significant other who cheated
• If you are a woman who suspects her significant other has cheated
• If you are a woman who has ever used drugs particularly, intravenous.
• If you are a sexually active woman between the ages of 13-64
Where to go:
Ask your doctor for an HIV test
Share with your girlfriends!